Image Map

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Marsi van de Heuvel

This past week I was lucky enough to interview the immensely talented Marsi van de Heuvel. This Capetonian is such a cool kid but has a very elusive internet persona so I knew I had to ask her some questions and find out more.

Photo of a big bunny  rabbit!

When did you start painting and why?


I have been painting for as long as I can remember. My mother is an art teacher so I've had access to art materials since I was little. Then I painted for fun, but as the years passed, I began to feel like I had to paint. I have many interests, but art has always been this constant that I have remained loyal to because it is a platform to explore anything.

What influences your paintings?

I am influenced by everything; aspects of people or the environment that repel and attract me, all have an influences on who I am and what I do. At the moment I am painting black ink landscapes. They are like portholes; intended to briefly project the self to a quiet natural space and be wild for a moment. I feel like I'm on an adventure when I paint them. They are lonely landscapes. I never paint animals or people in them. I sculpt as well, usually endangered animals, but what isn't endangered these days.

Where do you normally paint? Outside, coffee shops etc.

I have a studio in Cape Town that I sometimes paint in, I mostly sculpt there, it's messy. I also paint at home on the dining room table, on the lounge table, in bed, on the couch, at my boyfriends place, at a friend's house. I don't like working in public spaces like coffee shops, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Photo of a big bunny  rabbit!
Photo of a big bunny  rabbit!
Photo of a big bunny  rabbit!

If you're ever in a creative rut do you have any rituals or silly things you do to help you get out of it?


In creative ruts I switch mediums, like oil painting to water color or sculpture or fine liner, I have even tried field recordings. Or I visit the library and start doing research on something else that interests me. If that doesn't work, I exercise or sleep a lot until it passes.


What is your favourite thing about being a South African or South Africa in general?


My favorite thing about South Africa? Hard to choose between fynbos, Diemersfontein Pinotage, and Deluxe coffee.

Photo of a big bunny  rabbit!


What one place do you want to visit in your lifetime?


I would love to go to Norway to see the Northern lights.

What music are you listening to at the moment?

Nick Cave - White Lunar, on repeat.

The artist herself:


Photo of a big bunny  rabbit!

Thanks so much Marsi for taking the time to answer my questions, they were all so insightful and the tips to get out of a rut will definitely be put to use!

I'm so excited that it's Friday tomorrow, I've got a friends birthday party this weekend and the theme is cross-dressing (eep!) so I'll definitely let you lovelies know how that all plays out.

1 comment: